If your tile roof is installed properly, it can easily withstand our extreme Texas weather and last for at least 50 years. Periodic maintenance is a necessity to keep your roof watertight and looking its best, though. While there are some maintenance tasks you can tackle yourself, it’s wise to leave most to an experienced professional roofer.
DIY Tile Roof Maintenance
Monitoring the condition of your roof from the safety of ground level and in your attic is the most important aspect of DIY maintenance. This should be done routinely every couple of months and after storms. Up in the attic, look for pinpoints of light and signs of water staining on the roof sheathing, and check for damp or moldy insulation between the floor joists. Outdoors, walk your home’s perimeter and do a visual inspection of the roof and note any:
- Slipped or broken tiles
- Exposed underlayment
- Debris in the valleys or on the roof
- Missing or lifted flashing
- Areas of moss growth
Additionally, have your gutters cleaned out regularly and make sure they’re in good condition and fully functional, to avoid rainwater backups under the roofing.
Maintenance Tasks a Pro Should Tackle
Moving around on a tile roof takes skill and experience to avoid causing damage, so rooftop maintenance and repairs are best left to a pro. This includes:
- Inspections. Your roof should have a thorough inspection every couple of years, and after severe weather, if you suspect it may be storm damaged. A dependable local roofer who specializes in the correct installation of tile roofing is your best choice. A pro will look for damage to the tiles themselves, and check the condition of all the other critical components like the flashing, fascia, soffits and vents.
- Repairs. If an inspection shows that some roof components need attention, there are damaged tiles, or your roof has started to leak due to a lack of top flashing, a pro knows how to make sound repairs that last.
- Cleaning. If moss, algae or a buildup of dirt is ruining the look of your tile roof, pressure washing it yourself or hiring a company that uses the wrong techniques can cause costly harm. Your tile roofing contractor can use safe methods and a time-release treatment to restore the tile and keep your roof clean long-term.
To schedule expert tile roof maintenance for your Houston-area home, contact us at Eagle Restore today!